I am JaKePositive...I am a Homosexual...I am a Filipino...I am a Proud Ilonggo... I am HIV + since June 2010... I started my ARV Treatment May 4,2013 since my CD4 dropped to 107... I am here to RAISE AWARENESS... I am here to ENCOURAGE HIV TESTING... I am here to SUPPORT MY BROTHER'S and SISTER'S who are living with HIV... I am an ADVOCATE FOR CHANGE...

Sunday, June 17, 2012

AIDS right away? Can't we call it HIV first?

Filipino's are fond of making jokes out of almost everything. So the picture above shows a typical Filipino joke widely used today.

As of the moment I still hear a lot of people who use HIV and AIDS interchangeably without knowing the real status of the PLHIV.

So we're back to  HIV 101

HIV and AIDS Definition

what is AIDS? 

AIDS (acquired immune deficiency syndrome) is a condition caused by a virus called HIV. This virus attacks the immune system, the body's "security force" that fights off infections. When the immune system breaks down, you lose this protection and can develop many serious, often deadly infections and cancers. These are called "opportunistic infections (OIs)" because they take advantage of the body's weakened defenses. You have heard it said that someone "died of AIDS." This is not entirely accurate, since it is the opportunistic infections that cause death. AIDS is the condition that lets the OIs take hold.

what is HIV? 
HIV is a virus, like the flu or cold. A virus is really nothing but a set of instructions for making new viruses, wrapped up in some fat, protein and sugar. Without living cells, a virus can't do anything—it's like a brain with no body. In order to make more viruses (and to do all of the other nasty things that viruses do), a virus has to infect a cell. HIV mostly infects CD4 cells, also known as T cells, or T-helper cells. These are white blood cells that coordinate the immune system to fight disease, much like the quarterback of a football team. Once inside the cell, HIV starts producing millions of little viruses, which eventually kill the cell and then go out to infect other cells.

AND ONE MORE THING!

ALL PLHIV who are in AIDS Condition are HIV+, But not all HIV+ are in the AIDS Condition.

GET IT?

NOW YOU KNOW!














Review:




What is HIV?





What is AIDS?






 GOOD JOB!



Again this is JaKePositive. BE SAFE! +)

SOURCE: http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/WhatIsAIDS_4994.shtml



No comments:

Post a Comment

FOR QUESTIONS & INQUIRIES:

Facebook: www.facebook.com/jakepositive
E-mail: jakepositive@gmail.com
Twitter:
@jake_positive
HELPLINE #'s: 09278230300 / 09323298893